- With Peter Knaack and Jiajun Xu, (2018) 'Tailoring for development: China's post-crisis influence in global financial governance' Global Policy.
- With Christopher A McNally, (2017) 'A novel pathway to power? Contestation and adaptation in China’s internationalization of the RMB', Review of International Political Economy 24(4): 599-628.
- (2016) 'The social order of Chinese capitalism: Socio-economic uncertainty, communist party rule, and economic development, 1990-2000', Economy & Society 45(1): 24-50.
- (2013) 'Asset or liability? The role of the financial system in the political economy of China’s rebalancing', Journal of Current Chinese Affairs 42(4): 73-104.
- (2011) '‘Freedom’ Through Repression: Epistemic Closure in Agricultural Trade Negotiations' Review of International Studies 37(5): 2465-2490.
- (2017) "Financial centers and RMB Internationalization: Prospects for a post-American monetary order?' in James Parisot and Santino Regilme (eds.) American Hegemony and the Rise of Emerging Powers: Cooperation or Conflict. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- (2015) 'Contesting the liberal imaginary? China's role in the international monetary system' in Lisa Toohey, Colin Picker, and Jonathan Greenacre (eds.) China in the international economic order: New directions and changing paradigms. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Blagden, David, Julian Gruin and Jiajun Xu. “International Financial Institutions in an Age of Crisis” (2011) 7:1 St Antony’s International Review 3-11.
- Gruin, Julian. “Review: A World of Polities: Essays on Global Politics” (2011) 9:2 Political Studies Review 244-245.
- Gruin, Julian. "Review: Global Political Economy: A Marxist Critique" (2010) 8:2 Political Studies Review 256.
- Gruin, Julian. “Liberty and Security: Boumediene v Bush” (2008) 30 Hearsay.